Joomla 1.7 NivoSlider developed by NewJoomlaTemplates in collaboration with best web hosting reviews and ratings.

History

The previously unincorporated neighborhoods of West Park embarked on the road to incorporation in June, 2004, after the Florida Legislature approved House Bill 1491, which provided for an election on November 2, 2004. Following a vote of 3,400 to 956 for incorporation, West Park was on its way to becoming Broward County’s 31st city.

After the election, residents elected an interim transition committee and held a series of workshops to gain input on the level of municipal-type services to be provided. It was decided that the new municipality would be known as West Park until consensus is reached on a permanent name.

On March 8, 2005, Eric H. Jones, Jr., was elected Mayor and four Commissioners were elected: Felicia M. Brunson, Thomas W. Dorsett, Sharon Fyffe and Rita (Peaches) Mack. They were sworn-in as the municipality’s first elected leaders on March 10, 2005, and will guide West Park from an unincorporated area governed by the County to a fully functioning, independent city.

Residents in the multi-cultural municipality can enjoy three nearby County parks: Mary Saunders Park (4.43 acres), located within city boundaries, McTyre Park (19.03 acres) and Lake Forest Community Center (5.22 acres) both located in Pembroke Park. In addition, residents have easy access to State parks in the adjacent cities of Hollywood and Miramar.

While most of West Park is composed of residential neighborhoods, the city has a number of business, commercial, and industrial parcels.

Home About Us History